How will Covid-19 affect Haven? March 29, 2020 17:51
As we are all well aware, there has been lots of news unfolding in regards to Covid-19 in Canada and around the world. Here at Haven Living I am trying to stay as positive and proactive as possible.
I'd be laying if I said it was business “as usual” throughout this time of uncertainty. However, I myself have been struggling with the idea of sustaining Haven while the world of small business is in turmoil and the fear feels too heavy to carry some days.
Due to many raw ingredients being out of stock and back ordered, there may be many products I will be unable to restock at this time.
I will however do my very best to continue to produce the products that I am able, for as long as possible.
WHAT AM I PERSONALLY DOING?
Here at Haven, I operate in a closed and controlled environment which allows me to employ the highest safety standards.
My raw ingredients come directly from reputable suppliers and are never exposed to the public. I am committed to delivering you the best quality skin care in the most responsible manner.
I am as committed now as I always have been to follow good manufacturing practices and rigorous safety measures in alliance with Health Canada. I employ a strict series of standards in my manufacturing protocol that have been created to prevent the spread of bacteria, viruses or illness. This was designed in a way that would be in alignment to the Health Board of British Columbia and is reflective of my education and licence from the Cosmetology Association of Canada.
- Medical Grade Disinfectants on all surfaces, tools and equipment.
- Strict hand washing procedures.
- Thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting all manufacturing supplies, equipment, tools, and product packaging materials.
- All towels used during the manufacturing process are exclusively used for skin care manufacturing, and are stored, bleached and laundered separately.
- I am the only member that manufactures Haven Living products.
I am concerned about the health and well being of my clients, and will always do the best possible to ensure that he risk in minimized to the best of my ability.
Pantry Sugar Scrub March 16, 2020 19:50
With excessive hand washing and hand sanitizers a reality of our current lifestyle, I am hearing so many complaints regarding cracked and bleeding hands.
Sourcing items from your pantry to solve problems will make all the difference!
Mix the ingredients together to form a paste, and use as often as needed to keep skin soft and supple!
*source raw Shea Butter to deeply hydrate and repair for a cost effective and quick fix. Apply to the hands in a thick layer after exfoliating at bed time for overnight repair and healing.
Good luck out there, and stay safe! xx Desja
PEACHY PIE OATMEAL - Foodie Friday January 19, 2020 13:46
- Pulse oats in food processor until it resembles really coarse flour.
- Put into a separate bowl.
- Pulse peaches, almond milk, vanilla and maple syrup in food processor until well blended and peach chunks are broken up.
- Pour peaches over oats and mix well.
- Pour batter into a casserole dish. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in fridge over night.
- In the morning, put the oatmeal into a cold oven, and set to 300 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour (this is when I get ready in the morning) In our home I put it in at 6am while I did my 'momming" and it was ready at 7am when the kids got up. I then topped it with Coconut Cream, and it was AMAZING!
I hope you love this as much as we do! xo Desja
MEXI-BAKE- Foodie Friday January 19, 2020 13:46
1 package frozen Cauliflower rice (or 2 cups regular rice)
1/2 red onion
1 can Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 bunch fresh Cilantro
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 green chilies
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Heat oven to 350. Oil casserole dish.
2. Layer Rice, Beans, Onion and Cilantro into oiled casserole dish.
3. Whisk Eggs, Almond Milk, Tomato Sauce, Chilies and spices together.
4. Pour over Rice + Beans mixture, stir jut enough to combine.
5. 75 min baking time in TOTAL-
Bake at 350 UNCOVERED for 50 minutes + COVERED for remaining 25 minutes.
Serve with fresh salsa, guacamole and black olives.
SUPER SKIN CACAO SMOOTHIE - Foodie Friday January 19, 2020 13:46
Rich and chocolaty, sweet and thick, this smoothie is not only FULL of nutrition, fiber and antioxidants, but it's a fast and easy breakfast on the mornings you're running late. It makes a great snack for the kids, and an easy mid day snack.
Because my children are picky, I had to devise sneaky ways to pack nutrient dense foods without them realizing it. This smoothie has yet to disappoint.
- 8-10oz dairy free milk - Raw coconut milk, Almond Milk, Cashew Milk, Soy Milk etc
- 1 packed handful of greens - spinach, kale or mixed greens
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp nut butter - almond, peanut, cashew
- 1 tbsp MCT Oil
- 1 tbsp Chia seed powder
- 1 tbsp Collagen (I have been using "The Blend" by Good Life Juice-local to my city) omit if you're choosing Plant Based
- 1 tbsp raw Hemp powder
- 1 tbsp raw Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp raw Cacao Nibs
CHORIZO BREAKFAST BAKE - Foodie Friday January 19, 2020 13:46
This by far has been my most requested DM so far! I love hearing that you are as excited about planning ahead to stay on track with your health goals as I am!
You can replace the Chorizo with any other ground meat, or plant based substitute you would prefer.
INGREDIENTS1 package Chorizo Sausage - 6 links (I use Hertels brand, as it contains zero sugar or additives) You could use ground beef, turkey or a Plant based meatless substitute such as Gardein🌿
2 sweet potato - spiralized
2 green onions
1 red pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 bunch Cilantro
1. Remove Chorizo from its casing, crumble and fry in a pan like ground beef, working it continuously until it’s broken up.
2. Add chopped red pepper and crushed garlic. Sauté until cooked through.
3. Oil casserole dish to prevent sticking.
4. Peel and spiralize sweet potato. Add to casserole dish.
5. Chop cilantro and green onion. Set aside.
6. Whisk together eggs.
7. Add milk to eggs and whisk.
8. Add spices to egg mixture and whisk to combine.
9. Layer green onions, chopped cilantro and chorizo into sweet potato.
10. Pour eggs over entire mixture, pressing down to ensure everything is nestled into the eggs.
11. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes🔥
Eat, drink and be youthful! January 19, 2020 13:46
It's no secret that our diets and our water intake has a huge impact of the health of our skin. With so many "promises in a bottle" flooding our newsfeed, it's refreshing to know that we can create huge change in our bodies by adding in some simple DIY solutions!
Hydration is KEY! Infusing water makes it so much more tasty (and tolerable!)
By adding nutrient dense foods into your daily diet, you will not only improve digestion, but you'll nourish your skin with age fighting vitamins and minerals that help to combat free radical damage and repair skin to reflect a healthy glow!
After all, who doesn't want to have a little more pep in their step?!
xo Be happy. Be healthy. Desja
ORIENTAL STIR FRY - Plant Based January 19, 2020 13:46
ORIENTAL STIR FRY - Plant based + easy prep!
3 weeks ago I decided to dive in hard and give this Plant Based thing a real go. It's been a learning curve, but I'm slowly switching my mindset one meal (and sometimes minute) at a time.
Creating filling meals that are similar to what I created before hand is my biggest challenge. The blend of oriental flavors and filling vegetables sky rocketed this into my favorite meal in rotation at the moment.
I chose a blend of Carrot, Broccoli and Coleslaw Mix.
I am so impressed by the ingredient list on the Primal Kitchen brand!! I had stopped buying pre-made dressings because of all the crap they put in it! When this hit the shelves I did a MAJOR happy dance!!
Serve over a bed of rice or quinoa.
Hope you love this as much as I do!! XO Desja
TACO BOWL - Foodie Friday January 19, 2020 13:46
Confession time....If I have to eat another Taco.....I can't even....
I have three children. They all enjoy different meals, making it exhausting to satisfy everyone. For a long period of time Taco's were the ONLY meal that all THREE loved! Making it a weekly guarantee on the meal plan.
Because of this, I am all Taco'd out! Which made me explore alternative options for using Taco flavors, still making it easy to whip together one for the babes, and keeping me from going bananas.....
So I created a Taco Bowl This is a super simple way to create a nourishing meal that could be plant based or meat. Some alternatives are ground beef/turkey, shredded chicken/roast, black beans/chic peas, or lentils.
- Brown rice
- Black Beans or Lentils (if opting for plant based)
- Ground beef, shredded chicken, shredded pork (if opting for meat based)
- Green Onion
- olive oil
- Fresh Salsa
- Smoked Paprika, Chipotle Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin
Cook brown rice and quinoa either together in an Instant Pot or separately and then blend. I use an Instant Pot- Add 1 cup quinoa and toast until fragrant on the saute setting. Then add 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup water.Cook 5 minutes on pressure cook, and let naturally release for 15 min.
Saute the beans or meat in olive oil with powered spices to taste. Add corn, cilantro and green onions and saute, or leave them raw to add as garnish.
Layer the ingredients into containers:
1/2 cup rice blend + 3-4oz beans or meat mixture. Layer the remaining vegetables as you choose. If packing for meal prep, pack avocado and salsa separate for reheating. Top afterwards.
I use these black Meal Prep Containers I found at SuperStore. They fit excellent in the fridge, and freeze well.
Feel Free to make this your own! Exchange your fav ingredients and play around.
QUINOA RICE BOWL - Foodie Friday January 19, 2020 13:46
Lunch is often a meal I end up missing or not eating at all when life gets busy. I find sometimes I loose all track of time, and if I don't have something in the fridge ready to go I will end up a hot mess by 3pm, too late for lunch but too early for dinner.
I began this week by cooking 1 batch of brown rice, and one batch of quinoa, which I mixed together and used as a base for my lunches all week. I cut all the veggies, and put them into a separate container so the rice & beans could be reheated, and veggies added afterwards as garnish.
This plant based protein bowl was one of the meals I created and LOVED! It's is easy, and so filling.
- Cooked Brown Rice + Cooked Quinoa (follow directions and portion as you'd like, approx 1 cup per serving)
- 1 can chic peas
- 1 tbs Sesame Oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Green Onion sliced
- Carrot shredded
- Whole Food Mayo (I make mine from scratch HERE)
- chipotle, paprika, garlic powder to taste
Heat skillet with sesame oil, and add chic peas. Saute until warmed. Layer the warmed rice with the chic peas.
Mix the mayo with chipotle, paprika and garlic powder.
Add vegetables and chipotle mayo, salt and pepper as needed.
Facial Oils - Myths and truths about putting oils on your face February 26, 2019 15:00
We've all heard it before, oil will make you break out. Well, if that was the case, we'd all be a hot mess. The truth is, acne is caused by bacteria not oil. By hydrating with natural oils we put a stop the the cycle of over stripping our skin and resulting in a dry, flaky yet overly oily face.
Exfoliation - out with the old, in with the new February 20, 2019 15:23
Exfoliation is the most under used step in a regular skin care routine. It is the key to more youthful skin, as it encourages the skin to replenish old and dead skin cells.
The benefits of adding exfoliation into your routine is plentiful!
- increases blood flow and collagen production
- sloughs away dead skin cells creating a brighter complexion
- helps reduce acne by unclogging congested pores
- opens the skin to readily absorb hydration from moisturizers and serums
- brightens the texture and appearance of complexion
- helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles
Deciding what type of exfoliant to use can be challenging to someone who is new to the concept. Opting for a sugar based versus micro-bead exfoliant is not only the best choice from an environmental stand point (as plastic micro-beads build up in the septic system and do not decompose) but sugar will melt in hot water, allowing you to control the level of exfoliation that best suits your needs.
Heavier exfoliation is best for thicker skin types, or acne prone skin.
Lighter exfoliation is best for sensitive skin or skin that is delicate in nature.
When choosing a quality scrub lean towards pure essential oils on the ingredient list in place of fragrance oils. Pure essential oils pack a double punch in offering scent AND the holistic benefits that each individual oil offers by nature.
Exfoliants that contain organic butters or oils will naturally protect the surface of the skin and prevent moisture loss. It aids in creating a polishing effect on the skin, hydrates and nourishes while sloughing away dead skin.
Hopefully this gives you some insight into how to choose the best exfoliation product for your skin type, and gives you a happy shiny new complexion.
-LAVENDER + TEA TREE Body Polishing Scrub is a fan favorite- Find it HERE
HAPPY SCRUBBING xo Desja
The woman behind the brand June 29, 2016 13:55
Who is Desja?
The woman who founded Haven of course.
If you've checked out the website or seen me profiled on blogs or instagram, or read about my journey, you would see that I am a mommy of three who is super passionate about skin care!
I am also crazy in love with several Canadian made brands and love having the chance to support them in their own journey. This is why I love having a shop that blends all the things I love most.
I have been in the cosmetology industry for nearly 20 years since the first day I began shampooing clients at a salon in my home town, I was bitten by the bug. I carried on to become a licenced stylist, ethetician and make up artist. It was my passion. Moving into developing a skin care brand become something I was excited about. I feel that is what sets me apart from so many other up and coming brands. A lot of research goes into my brand and the products I curate. I love to know that my products do much more than just smell great. Knowing that the raw ingredients I work with and the essential oil blends I create nourish the skin and the spirit.
Here's the top 10 weird facts about me.
1. I am an only child and grandchild, which is probably why I dive head first into terrifying things. I had an awesome (probably unrealistic) sense of "I can do anything!"
2. I chose to have 3 children because my son would have been the end of our genetic line, as my ex-husband too is an only child. Meaning our children have ZERO biological aunts, uncles or cousins! (super weird right)
3. I used to speak in a British accent when we would travel because I thought it made me sound more distinguished. (because when you're an only child you do whatever the heck you want since there's no one there to call you out on your weirdness)
4. I once briefly dated B.B. Kings son.
5. I actually never wanted children because I has always thought I would to travel extensively....Until I realized I was deadly terrified of airplanes....and the unknown.
6. I can sing.
7. I am beyond terrified to fly because my brain can't understand how the plane stays in the air. I have panic attacks and become the crazy person on the plane who is positive we are going to crash. (soooo I'm a ton of fun to travel with)
8. I get a lot of anxiety in busy public spaces or driving in big cities.
9. I am surprisingly traditional. I would be a 1950's house wife any day
10. My creativity doesn't ever turn off, so I can get burnt out pretty easily and learning the work/life balance is something I am working really hard on!
I hope that you love the brand and shop as much as I do! Thanks for stopping by and finding out a little bit more about me and Haven Living.
#consciousbeautyproject March 2, 2016 11:43
The Conscious Beauty Project was inspired by my children. As a mother of three, it is so important to me to instill a positive idea of what is considered "beautiful", and create a conversation that hopefully spills over to their peers. With more and more pressure for women in both the media and in our surrounding lives, I feel passionately that now is an opportunity to reach out and support in ways we never could before.
The conscious beauty project is designed to inspire women and young girls to not only be conscious of the words we use to each other, but to be conscious of the ingredients we choose to use in our skin care and beauty products.
Chemical conscious & kindness conscious. That is the mission of the #consciousbeautyproject.
~ a percentage of sales benefits women in our community.